“So disrespectful to the traditional” – Reactions as Pete Edochie shakes Ooni of Ife at a party instead of bowing
Renowned Nollywood veteran, Pete Edochie, recently sparked a wave of reactions and mixed opinions on social media after a video surfaced showing him shaking hands with the revered Ooni of Ife, instead of traditionally bowing down to greet him.
The incident, which occurred at Elizbeth Jack Rich’s 40th birthday dinner party.
In the viral video, Pete Edochie can be seen warmly shaking hands with the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, as they exchanged pleasantries at the event.
Veteran actor Kanayo O. Kanayo who shared the video caption it” Last night was awesome @peteedochie @babarex0 @chidimokeme and the very outstanding His Royal Majesty, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi Enitan, Ooni of Ife.”
However, the absence of the customary bowing gesture, which is considered a sign of respect to traditional rulers in Yorubaland, raised eyebrows and elicited various reactions from social media users as some netizens said it was disrespectful, while others blamed the Ooni.
See reactions below:
– The blame is on the Ooni of Ife for going to that kind place and for also accepting a hand shake from people;I’m not against the nollywood stars but they supposed to bow before the stool of the king of ife.if it was the former ooni of ife who could try this and even give him hand shake?
– I visited different palaces in the east during the course or a project I was working on, and each time I want to greet the Igwe, I will ask to postrate like an omoluabi. Surprisingly, they Igwes always will decline because it is not their tradition. The chiefs will gently ask me to stand up and greet, introduce yourself and sit-down. What a culture shock! But that’s their tradition, so before you walk with your heads instead of your legs, ask yourself certain questions. 1. Was Ooni in his palace sitting on his stool when this happened? 2. Are the people in question from the same culture? 3. Is Idobale (Porstrate) always a sign of genuine respect? 4. Is Ooni a king of the two veteran Actors? 5. Was this event in ife? I understand that Ooni is a king to some kings in Yoruba land and even a recognized first class king in Yoruba land and if I meet him anywhere…my chest will be on the floor. I don’t expect my Ibo brothers to do the same except when in his palace. When we travel round and experience different cultures, our exposure and ways of thinking will change.
– They gave the Oba a three handshake which is how great men are traditionally greeted in Igboland, do you expect Chief Pete Edochie to prostrate for the Oba😮 it’s not done, we are NdIgbo.
– It looks like this king doesn’t know what his culture expects of him. I’m still thinking that man in Nigeria who who shake hands with the great Oba of Benin in that manner . Even the president and other world leaders bow before him. Sorry to say! Pete Edochie just disrespected the king
– It is now very obvious that some yorubas don’t respect their kings.. I have been reading through comments and seeing some funny yorubas disrespecting their king because Chief pete didn’t bow to him😂.. Shame.. So you wanted pete to boy or do what? An igbo high chief? Do you share the same tradition? I am Edo and we don’t speak down on our king no matter what and Yes I have seen videos of dignitaries that are not Edo shaking hands with Oba of Benin just like this… And Yes the Ooni is a humble man and a true king 👑
– If you don’t respect yourself no one will .. if the real and former king 👑 is on the seat this nonsense will not happen.. I respect the work and talent of the legend but if the king start respecting the throne and act like a king 🤴 this madness will not happen. If anything remove your cap 🧢 😢